Join Our Team
Challenge Success is a non-profit school reform organization affiliated with the Stanford University Graduate School of Education. We are a small and dynamic team of educators, researchers, mental health professionals, and youth development experts committed to helping schools and families create a healthy, well-balanced, and academically engaging life for kids.
Our Commitment to Diversity & Inclusion
Challenge Success is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Studies have shown that historically underrepresented groups are less likely to apply for positions unless they believe they meet every one of the qualifications as described in a job description. Our top priority is finding the best candidate to meet the current needs of the organization. If you are interested in a position, we encourage you to apply even if you do not believe you meet each one of the qualifications outlined.
See current opportunities below.
See the full position description here.
MISSION AND VISION
Challenge Success partners with schools, families, and communities across the country to embrace a broad definition of success and to implement research-based strategies that promote student well-being, equity, and engagement with learning.
Challenge Success is a 501(c)3 nonprofit school reform organization affiliated with the Stanford University Graduate School of Education. Our programs primarily support middle and high schools across the country committed to making data-informed school changes that transform the lives of their students. Over 650 school communities across the U.S. have participated in our programs. We hope to expand to meet the needs of a diverse set of schools to increase well-being and engagement for even more students.
We are seeking an experienced, part-time (50%-75% negotiable), development professional who will report directly to the Executive Director. You will work remotely, as do all of our staff, however proximity to northern CA is preferred for this position. You will be responsible for creating and implementing a comprehensive development plan consistent with the short and long term strategic fundraising goals established in partnership with the Executive Director and the Challenge Success Board of Directors.
- Provide strategic leadership in development & implementation of $1M+ annual fundraising plan
- Serve as the Executive Director’s advisor & partner on all matters related to fundraising
- Steward existing portfolio of donors, & identify & cultivate new funding sources
- Maintain positive ongoing relationships with potential, current & past board members, advisory council members, & donors
- Prepare and present regular reports to the Executive Director & Board of Directors
- Plan & execute annual fundraisers & other special events in partnership with our marketing manager who oversees event logistics
- Manage the Salesforce donor database & prepare meaningful reports
- Manage grant writing for funding opportunities aligned with the organization’s mission
- Provide general donor communications, targeted newsletters, & annual reports
- Assist in the creation of print, digital, social media content, & collateral
- Support marketing and outreach efforts to build awareness of the organization’s mission & develop further ties with the community
- Direct the work of internal administrative associate to help support development responsibilities
BACKGROUND & EXPERIENCE
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS
- 5-8 years of progressive development experience, preferably in the education sector
- Extensive knowledge of development strategy & applied understanding of fundraising principles and development best practices
- Proven track record of meeting organizational fundraising goals
- Deep experience with donor identification, cultivation, and stewardship
- Excellent communication, presentation, writing, and analytical skills
- Experience with online fundraising, email marketing, and internet search engines
- Significant proficiency with Salesforce and office technology (Google Suite, Airtable, Excel)
- Superior organizational skills
- Ability to demonstrate a high degree of confidentiality, discretion, good judgment & professionalism
- General understanding of independent and public school landscapes & ability to understand and communicate our mission and work
- Mission-driven with a deep commitment to improving student well-being, equity, & engagement with learning through school change
- Commitment to an internal culture of continuous professional learning & authenticity
- Highly flexible, collaborative, & responsive in a remote working environment
- Entrepreneurial spirit, strategic & out of the box thinker while also being hands-on and detail oriented
SALARY AND BENEFITS
Competitive salary & benefits commensurate with skills and experience. Benefits include medical insurance, 401k, paid time off and more.
This search is being conducted by an internal Search Committee at Challenge Success with the support of the Board of Interested applicants should send a resume and brief cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org including reference to your geographic location and why you are interested in our mission.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where is this position located? The job is remote. We have an office on the Stanford University campus and many of our donors are from northern CA. Local candidates are preferred; however we will consider non-local applications for exceptional candidates.
What will this recruiting process look like? We will review applications as they are received through February 10, 2022. We do not guarantee that we will review applications received after that date. You may receive a brief phone call or be asked to complete a short questionnaire. The candidates who appear to be the best fit for this position will be asked to complete 3-4 rounds of interviews most likely via Zoom. In the final interview stage, you will be asked to provide references.
What is the start date? We hope to complete this process by early/mid March with a start date no later than April 1, 2022.
What are my typical office hours? Challenge Success’s regular business hours are from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. PT, Monday through Friday. Part-time employees work a mutually agreed upon schedule within that general window. Depending on the geographic location of the staff you are working with, you may at times be required to be available earlier/later.
How much travel is required for this role? We estimate that you will travel 4 to 5 times per year once Covid restrictions are lifted for a total of 8-15 days for this role. You may travel to attend Challenge Success internal and external conferences, donor events, as well as staff retreats and/or other meetings.