Designed to help schools make data-driven decisions that improve student well-being, belonging, and engagement with learning.
The Challenge Success Student Survey
The Student Survey (also known as the Challenge Success-Stanford Survey of School Experiences) is a 30-40-minute online survey for middle and high school students that helps schools gather data and insights that lead to actionable changes designed to improve student well-being, belonging, and engagement with learning. Over 250,000 students have taken this survey since it was developed by researchers at the Stanford Graduate School of Education in 2007.
Topics covered in survey
- Physical health and well-being
- Academic engagement
- Support and belonging at school
- Homework and extracurriculars
- Grades and assessment
- Parent expectations
- SURVEY: Support administering one online survey
- DASHBOARD: Interactive, online dashboard of results with executive summary
- PEER SCHOOL PROFILE: Access to a dashboard of data from similar schools
- DEBRIEF CALL: Video call with members of our Research or Program teams to debrief results and recommend next steps
- RESEARCH TEAM OFFICE HOURS: Access to a member of the Research team on Thursdays at 12pm PT for follow-up questions.
Many schools have accessed state, local, and community funding to support this work. Learn more about potential sources of funding here. Challenge Success offers limited financial assistance based on need.
Interested in bringing a Student Survey to your school?
We’d love to hear from you! Tell us more about your school, the challenges you’re facing, and the goals you’re trying to achieve.
WHAT SCHOOLS ARE SAYING
“The compelling data generated by the survey of our own students shows the undeniable need for changes at our school that will balance students’ academic progress and mental/emotional/physical well-being.”HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR
“The data we collected really helped us understand better the stresses our students faced and what levers we could pull to help students get beyond ‘doing school’ and become more curious and engaged in their learning.”MIDDLE AND HIGH SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR
SAMPLE SURVEY QUESTIONS
Below you’ll find a selection of sample questions from several sections of our Student Survey.
Belonging at School
- I feel like I belong at this school.
- I feel that other students at this school like me the way that I am.
- How often does the amount of schoolwork you have keep you from getting enough sleep?
- How often do you worry about school assignments?
- How much do you worry about getting into the college of your choice?
Homework and Extracurriculars
- On a typical weekday, how many hours do you spend on school-assigned homework (do not include time spent taking breaks, texting, using the computer for non-academic work, etc.)?
- During a typical week, from Monday through Friday, how much time do you spend participating in these activities outside of school hours? (Do not include hours spent doing jobs or paid work.)
- How often do you try as hard as you can in school?
- How often do you find your schoolwork meaningful?
- How often do you find your schoolwork valuable?
Want to see more sample questions? Get in touch with our team to discuss survey solutions for your school.